October 2019 e-bulletin update from the Shelter Specialist Debt Advice Service.
News and legal updates
- DRO Newsletter September – October 2019
- New Debt and Mental Health Evident Form (DMHEF) version launched
- Barclays to end free Post Office cash withdrawals
- FCA sets out potential remedies to tackle concerns about general insurance pricing
Enquiry of the month
This months featured enquiry surrounds clients that have gone bankrupt but are being pursued for benefit overpayments.
- Court held that new arguments can be raised on appeal or set aside application after a possession order is granted – Notting Hill Finance Ltd v Sheikh  EWCA Civ 1337
- LGSCO ordered council to annul debtor’s bankruptcy due to failing to follow their own policy – London Borough of Haringey (reference number: 18 004 520) (17 September 2019)
- Court considers whether issuing a winding up petition was an appropriate debt collection method – Sell Your Car With Us Limited v Sareen  EWHC 2332 (Ch)
This month’s Spotlight discusses Persons at Risk of Violence (PARV) applications for debt relief orders, in particular, the process of applying for a PARV Order and potential issues in making a PARV application.
Download the Shelter e-bulletin October 2019