April 2019 e-bulletin update from the Shelter Specialist Debt Advice Service.
The Shelter Specialist Debt Advice Service website has been updated to include a ‘good enquiry guide’ which will help you to submit the most useful information that will enable SDAS to deal with your query efficiently.
News and legal updates
- MAPS new business plan
- MAT ‘How to deal with debt’ guide
- Justice Committee report on bailiffs and the enforcement of debt
- New plans to improve the way council collect council tax arrears
- FCA to not introduce a legal ‘Duty of Care’
- Guarantors and bankruptcy petitions – round up, including Norwich and Peterborough Building Society v McGuinness  EWCA Civ 1286 and Pearse v Revenue and Customs Commissioners  EWHC 3422 (Ch)
- Cause of action just after midnight started the limitation period, Matthew and others v Sedman and others  EWCA Civ 475
This month’s Spotlight looks at the legal position of shared ownership and considers the implications for clients with shared ownership experiencing financial difficulty or insolvency.
This month’s success story comes from Patrick Russell at Walsall Citizens Advice, who helped a client by ensuring that a court claim from Amigo was adjourned to give the Financial Ombudsman Service time to consider the client’s complaint against the firm.
Download the Shelter e-bulletin April 2019