January 2019 e-bulletin update from the Shelter Specialist Debt Advice Service.
New and legal updates
- Financial Conduct Authority to ban fixed fees for unarranged overdrafts
- Support for mortgage interest rate of interest charged has decreased
- Universal Credit housing costs element restored
- CPR change to the online court scheme
- Judgment in default application dismissed despite late filing acknowledgement of service – Cunico Resources NV and others v Daskalakis and another  EWHC 3382 (Comm)
- When do the tools of a bankrupt form part of the estate? – Birdi v Price & Another  EWHC 2943 (Ch)
- Challenging judgments allegedly obtained fraudulently – Terry v BCS Corporate Acceptances Ltd  EWCA Civ 2422
This month’s Spotlight focuses on client’s rights to terminate a Hire Purchase agreement.
This month’s success story is from Bernard Foy at Pembrokeshire Citizens Advice who helped a client who was being pursued for a debt relating to a conditional sale agreement for a car, despite the CS agreement being a qualifying debt under the client’s debt relief order.
Download the Shelter e-bulletin January 2019