- About your personal information
At the IMA we’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Any questions regarding our use of your personal information and our privacy practices should be sent by email to email@example.com or by writing to The Institute of Money Advisers, First Floor, 4 Park Court, Park Cross Street, Leeds, LS1 2QH. Alternatively, you can telephone 0113 242 0048.
- Who are we?
The Institute of Money Advisers is the only professional body acting solely for money advisers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The IMA is a company limited by guarantee (no. 5386480) and also a registered charity (no.1112758).
- How do we collect your information?
We collect personal information from a variety of sources including when you:
- Apply for or renew your IMA membership
- Apply for a place on an IMA training course
- Book a place at our annual conference
- Subscribe to our journal Quarterly Account
Information is collected electronically and using paper forms.
- How is your information used?
We will process your information in order to fulfil our contractual obligations to you, for example in providing you with a training course you have booked, or your membership benefits. With your consent we will also use your information to send you direct marketing.
Specifically, your information may be used to:
- process your event or training booking, membership or qualification application, or subscription;
- create a paper and electronic record of your booking, application or subscription;
- provide you with a service, including any membership benefits;
- notify you of changes to our services;
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you, based on the information we hold on you. These communications may include information about IMA services, events, and campaigns. For example, we may use your address details to send you details of IMA training courses running close to you, if you have consented to receiving direct marketing from us.
We will also process your information where we have a legitimate interest to do so. For example, if you are a member we will respond to any enquiry you make or any support needs you may have or we may invite you to take part in research. If you attend an IMA event we may contact you to request your feedback.
- What happens if you do not provide information?
If you choose not to provide us with data, we may not be able to provide the service you have requested from us in full or in part. For example, if you are a member, choosing not to provide us with a mailing address will mean we will not be able to send you a copy of our journal Quarterly Account.
- How long do we retain data for?
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. We will not hold any information which is not necessary for the relevant activity.
Specific retention periods include:
- Membership data is retained for 12 months after the end of membership
- Information relating to authorisation as a DRO approved intermediary is retained for 24 months after de-authorisation
- Financial and contractual information is retained for 6 years
- Information relating to the successful completion of IMA qualifications is retained indefinitely
- Who else has access to your information?
We will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- Third Party Service Providers:
We may pass your information to our third party service providers, agents subcontractors and other associated organisations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (for example to provide your membership benefits). These organisations may include training providers, communications providers and event venues.
However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have an agreement in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing purposes. Please be reassured that we will not release your information to third parties for them to use for their own direct marketing purposes.
- IMA Council Representatives
If you are a member, we will also pass basic details about you and your preferred email address to the IMA Council Representative in your region, so they can update you regarding branch business and meetings, Money Advice Group meetings and IMA news, campaigns and initiatives
We have an agreement in place with each Council Representative that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing or any other inappropriate purposes.
- What choices do you have regarding your data?
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. If you do not want to receive direct marketing communications from you can select your choices by ticking the relevant box at the point at which we collect your information.
We will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have given your prior consent. You can withdraw consent or change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us on 0113 242 0048. All our marketing emails also contain a one-click unsubscribe button.
- How you can access and update your information?
The accuracy of your information is important to us. If you change email address, or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please let us know.
You also have the right to ask for a copy of the information the IMA holds about you which we will normally provide free of charge. We will provide you with this information as soon as possible and normally within one month of your request.
If you wish to update your details or request a copy of your information, please email us at: email@example.com or write to us at: The Institute of Money Advisers, First Floor, 4 Park Court, Park Cross Street, Leeds, LS1 2QH. Alternatively, telephone us on 0113 242 0048.
- Transferring your information outside of the European Union
As part of the services offered to you by the IMA, the information which you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside the European Union (EU). For example, we may use MailChimp to send you emails, and SurveyMonkey to collect and analyse your information, such as when you renew your membership. Both these companies are located in the United States.
We will only transfer your personal data outside of the EU when this is necessary to provide you with a membership benefit or other service, and in compliance with the conditions for such transfers set out in Chapter V of the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Your rights
You have the following rights regarding your personal information:
- Right to be informed – you have the right to be informed about how we process your information, for example via this notice.
- Right of access – you have the right to request and access the information we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- Right to rectification – you are entitled to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – you can request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing.
- Right to restrict processing – you have a right to ‘block’ or suppress processing of personal data.
- Right to data portability – you have a right to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services.
- Right to object – you have a right to object to: our processing of your information when this is based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling); direct marketing (including profiling); and processing for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics.
- Rights related to automated decision making including profiling
For full details of these rights see the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/
If you wish to exercise one of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your right to complain
If you have a concern about the way we handle your personal information, please let us know soon as possible and we will do all we can to address the issue. Please make any complaint in writing by email to email@example.com or in the post to The Institute of Money Advisers, First Floor, 4 Park Court, Park Cross Street, Leeds, LS1 2QH
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), for example if you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint. The ICO can be contacted online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ or by telephone on 0303 123 1113.