The IMA and PayPlan launched a joint campaign against imprisonment for the non-payment of Council Tax at the IMA’s annual conference in Bristol in May 2017.
England and Wales are the only jurisdictions in Western Europe that imprison people for local tax debt.
The campaign aims to:
- Work for a change in the law to end imprisonment and threats of imprisonment for Council Tax debt
- Promote the use of local authority and magistrates’ courts’ powers to remit Council Tax arrears in appropriate circumstances
- Lobby local authorities and to help advisers and advice agencies to lobby local authorities to end the threat and use of imprisonment
- Call for improvements in the way the courts deal with committal proceedings
- Provide materials to help advisers help their clients deal with threats of imprisonment.
Watch this space and subscribe to our members’ e-bulletin to find out how you can get involved.